Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Appointment update

Today I went for my first appointment with the Women's Center since being dismissed from infertility care.

I must say, I'm generally feeling pleased with the care I received today and I've never heard anything negative about this practice - I just feel "awkward" right now .... especially considering I'm now considered a "normal" pregnant woman in her "first" pregnancy. That's a lot to swallow when you have been dealing with infertility for five years. And it's a lot to swallow when you "leave" Dr. P's nest after being there since June.

My first appointment was to discuss my health insurance. Thank God for good insurance. I basically need to meet my $100 deductible and then everything else (including circumcision if a boy) is covered. I do not have a limit for ultrasounds which is nice to hear as well. As long as the ultrasound is medically necessary, we're good to go.

My second appointment was for my "class" on the do's and don'ts of pregnancy and to discuss how I'm feeling thus far. The one concern we discussed was my issue with dairy. Before getting pregnant, I had dairy almost daily. I was fine with milk, cheese, ice cream, etc - no problems. Since discovering I'm pregnant - I will throw up dairy. Almost immediately. Even if scrambled eggs are made with milk, I throw up. Anything with butter, I throw up. The nurse informed me that because I'm taking a prenatal, I should be fine. However, she recommends I have 3-4 Tums a day because the Tums is good for the acid reflux and there is a difference in me digesting the Tums vs. just taking a calcium supplement.

We went through a LOT of paperwork and I have some homework to complete before my next appointment on the 21st. Basically I need to decide what I'd like to be tested for during the pregnancy. Examples include: Cystic Fibrosis, Downs, etc. I declined the HIV testing because I've never been at risk for HIV. I've never done drugs. I've never had a situation of someone elses blood or fluids on me. I've never had unprotected sex before marriage. I've never had a transfusion. I didn't see the point in the test.

The nurse is recommending that I see every doctor in the practice because it will give me a chance to get to know them. She said when I go into labor there is no guarantee I'll have Dr. Easter - I'll have the doctor who is on call that night. I really don't care either way. I'm just happy to be HERE. FINALLY.

We had a lot of good discussion and even discussed my BIRTHING PLAN!!! I thought that was a little early to discuss but basically I don't care what needs to be snipped, what drugs need to be used or anything - as long as I have a living, breathing, healthy baby - I don't care what I have to go through. I know God will be with us. :)

After receiving a Similac goodie pack, a bunch of literature and some sample prenatals I was sent on my way to my NEXT appointment which was bloodwork. I am being tested for all sorts of diseases I've never even heard of in addition to the one hour glucose test.

I survived the glucose test without getting sick, thank God! That sugary drink is quite disgusting.

And now... I'm finally home, fed, and exhausted. It's been a busy and productive day. I can't wait to see what happens at my appointment on the 21st. They did warn me that they'll be taking a urine sample before each appointment so make sure I have a full bladder. Yea, that won't be a problem - trust me. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Holy smokes! Life sure can get busy!   I can't believe I forgot about my blog!   Well... eh... I didn't forget... I just... didn'...