Saturday, August 20, 2011

Breast feeding

I've been reading up on breast feeding and I truly hope I'm able to do it. Not just for the reasons below but more so just because I simply WANT to do it. We'll see!

I don't know if number 5 is incredibly accurate or not. I was only breastfed for 2 weeks and I'm quite smart (mentally gifted, not kidding).

10 Reasons why you'll want to breastfeed:

  1. It's simple and quick (no bottles, measuring or mixing!).

  2. It protects your baby from diseases, viruses, stomach pain, and infections, and lowers their risk of allergies and asthma.

  3. Your milk contains oxytocin - the "love hormone", which helps you and your baby bond with one another.

  4. It also contains over 400 vitamins, minerals, fats, and proteins NOT present in any formula out there.

  5. Breastfed babies have higher IQs. (The longer you breastfeed, the higher the IQ of the child.)

  6. It's custom-tailored specifically to your child's nutrition and immunity needs.

  7. It protects your baby against SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).

  8. It burns about 500 extra calories a day for YOU. Breastfeeding = quicker postpartum weight loss!

  9. It contains special brain-promoting proteins and fats not found in any formula out there.

  10. It's 100% free (well, pumps and nursing bras aren't, but they're still cheaper than a year's worth of formula).


1 comment:

Pam said...

Leigh, breastfeeding is so so so awesome. There is no other way for me to describe it. I have nursed all three of my babies (Dougie until 6 months, Kate until 8 months and still going strong with Owen!) and it is such a joy. Once you get the hang out if (and for some it does take a while, but don't give up!) you can just sit, relax and stare at your baby. You get that time to just BE WITH THEM. Nothing else matters, just you and him! Good Luck, I hope you have success!

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Holy smokes! Life sure can get busy!   I can't believe I forgot about my blog!   Well... eh... I didn't forget... I just... didn'...