Thursday, April 24, 2014

Gluten Free Shopping







When you are gluten free, it's not necessarily wise to go out and purchase every single product that says "gluten free" because those foods may have a higher carb/sugar content as well as a higher price tag.

The SCHAR products make a pretty good (but high WW points) gluten free bread.   For me, gluten free bread has been a challenge because any product I've tried before discovering SCHAR tasted awful. I will say that GLUTEN FREE BREAD is more of a treat rather than a regular item on my shopping list.  

I have friends who are interested in going gluten free but they are weary of the cost.   Heck, we were too!   We are on a super tight budget and going gluten free seemed expensive at first.   Until we discovered two things.
1.  ORGANIC AND GLUTEN FREE ARE NOT THE SAME THING
2.  GLUTEN FREE IS REALLY JUST CLEAN EATING!  

About.com shopping list

Martin's foods shopping list

Colorado State University - All about GF and a shopping list

I love this link!   FIVE DOLLAR GLUTEN FREE MENU!

Another shopping list...


I completely understand peoples frustrations when it comes to going gluten free.    The main frustration is understanding that it is not a diet, but a lifestyle change.     It's tough.   I definitely understand that.   For example, I absolutely loved Rye Bread.    And around this time of year nothing is more yummy than a hard boiled egg sandwich on Rye.    I miss it, not going to lie - I miss the Rye.    But the benefits have outweighed it all.    

Since going gluten free....

  • I no longer have my hands lock up on an almost daily basis
  • When I get my period, it's no longer staying for a week and I have a minimal to non-existent weight gain
  • Maintaining my weight is easier
  • I am no longer in need of using the birth control pill to regulate my cycles
  • My skin is healthier
  • I don't have uncomfortable stomach issues
  • Digestion is better
  • Acid reflux is gone
  • I have more energy
  • I feel like my concentration levels have improved
  • I have gone down three sizes

Here are some things you'd find in my pantry and fridge if you visited....
  • Vegetable oil
  • Olive oil
  • Fresh fruits (low GI)
  • Veggies
  • Almond Milk
  • Lactose Free Yogurt
  • Apple Sauce
  • Beans
  • Brown Rice
  • Tuna
  • Eggs
  • Turkey
  • Steak
  • Broiled/Boiled Chicken
  • Chili
  • Salad fixings (lettuce, mushrooms, spinach)
  • Gluten free pasta 
  • Sauces and marinades
  • Salad dressings

Things you won't find....
  • SODA
  • Processed foods
  • Anything I can't spell or pronounce
  • "Regular" (cows) milk










No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Holy smokes! Life sure can get busy!   I can't believe I forgot about my blog!   Well... eh... I didn't forget... I just... didn'...