Sunday, July 28, 2019

PCOS myths


When it comes to PCOS there are so many myths.   Far too many assumptions, that's for certain.

I was going to sit here and try to count how many doctors I saw before meeting my RE but honestly, I can't.    From my childhood pediatrician, to doctors I saw when I was in college, to practices I tried prior to my marriage, etc.    I'd say it's at least a dozen. 

We live in a society that judges.

Admit it. 

You do it.   I do it.   The person you last spoke to does it. 

We don't like to admit it, but we do.

When a PCOS woman goes to a new doctor, it is not uncommon for that doctor to automatically assume that the woman in front of them is filled with foods like you see in the image on the left. 

Stepping on the scale and seeing a number higher than what's recommended on that stupid chart will raise eyebrows. 

Finding a doctor that listens to you and truly HEARS you, should not be so tough.    But for many women with cysters, it's a reality.

While the image on the left does have some truth to it... that's not the overall truth for women with PCOS who are plus sized.   There's so much going on and not going on in our bodies that make us the size we are. 

From elevated testosterone to high cortisol to insulin resistance.... just to name a few.   Nutrient deficiencies, thyroid problems, food sensitivities and inflammation to name a few more.

The journey to finding a good doctor isn't always easy.   Having a doctor throw some metformin and birth control at you and sending you on your merry way isn't the answer either.

Fight for yourself ladies.

Fight for your bodies.

It is worth it!   I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Holy smokes! Life sure can get busy!   I can't believe I forgot about my blog!   Well... eh... I didn't forget... I just... didn'...